This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Alterations to major fittings and facilities

Alterations to major fittings and facilities

You will need Building Regulations approval for alterations which involve the installation or replacement of a major fitting or facility in a property. Typical projects include:

  • replacing windows, where the work includes replacing the frames 
  • replacing glazed doors, where the glazing occupies more than 50% of the area of the door
  • replacing electrical wiring or adding new electrical circuits
  • installing new plumbing or drainage, such as new bathrooms, sinks, washbasins, showers, WCs or pipework
  • installing any type of combustion appliance, such as a new boiler or heating system

For additional detail on the requirements for the installation or replacement of major fittings and facilities, see Technical guidance.

Using a Competent Person

The quickest and easiest way to deal with Building Regulations for fittings and facilities installations is to use an approved Competent Person. This type of contractor can certify the work as Building Regulations compliant, without the need for a separate application. If you choose to do this, it is essential to check the status of your contractor before work starts, and ask them to provide you with an appropriate Certificate of Completion. You should keep this paperwork, as you may need it for building insurance purposes, and will have to supply it when you come to sell your property.

If your contractor is not registered, please  call us on 01225 477517. One of our team will guide you through the application procedure and tell you what you can expect from the whole process.

If you would prefer to apply another way, please return to How to apply on the Do I need Building Regulations approval? page for further advice. 

Planning permission

Please check if you also need planning permission before starting work.