Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Service update

The Building Control Service continues to operate for you during the Coronavirus pandemic.

How to contact us

  • Please use our contact form, please include a telephone number if you want us to call you back
  • If you need to call a Building Control Surveyor, please see our staff contacts page

Updates from other Council Services

Find out what you need to know

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Technical guidance
  3. Electrical safety regulations

Electrical safety regulations

All electrical work in dwellings needs to follow the electrical safety regulations set out in Building Regulations Part P.

  • A competent person* must carry out the work.
  • You do not need to notify Building Control for small jobs such as replacing socket outlets or light switches.
  • You will need to notify Building Control or a competent person* will need to carry out all work that involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling.
  • You will need to notify Building Control or a competent person* will need to carry out electrical work in kitchens, bathrooms or 'special locations.'

Special locations include:

  • fixed garden lighting
  • power installations (including ponds)
  • swimming pools
  • electric floor heating systems
  • hot air saunas
  • locations containing a shower basin or bath tub
  • electrical work in garages and garden sheds 
  • photovoltaic solar panels and domestic wind turbines 

*To be a competent person, you must be registered with a Part P Self Certification Scheme.

Your choice of compliance

1. Part P Self Certification Scheme (Competent Persons Scheme)

If the electrical work is carried out by an electrician who is a member of a Competent Persons Scheme:

  • a Building Regulations application is not required
  • the electrician will certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations
  • the electrician will issue the owner with a Building Regulations self certification certificate

The Competent Persons Scheme will notify the local authority, so they can keep records of the work.

If you are having electrical work carried out, we recommend using an electrician who is a member of a Competent Persons Scheme.

Find a registered electrician

2. Building Regulations application

If this route is chosen there are two options:

(a) A qualified, registered electrician carries out or inspects the work. They can issue a design, installation and test certificate under BS7671.

Building Control will accept the certificate as evidence that the work complies with Part P.

Building Control may carry out additional inspections and tests.

(b) Work is carried out by an unregistered electrician or is a DIY installation.

Building Control will inspect and test the work to ensure it complies with Part P.

There will be a charge for this testing work; you can find further details on our Building Regulations application form.

Useful information