This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Technical Guidance
  3. Demolition advice

Demolition advice

Demolition work is controlled under the Building Act 1984 - Sections 80, 81, 82 and 83. When a person wishes to demolish a building that has a volume greater than 1750 cubic feet (49.5m³), they are required to give written notice of their intentions to:

We will respond, listing a number of conditions that must be complied with, before the commencement of the work.These conditions relate to such matters as the:

  • sealing of drains
  • method of demolition
  • support and weatherproofing of adjacent structures

If you wish to object to any of the conditions imposed, you have the right to appeal to the Magistrates Court.

Listed Building or Conservation Area consents must be obtained prior to the demolition of any part of a building that is listed or situated within a conservation area.

Planning permission may also be required for demolition work, and you should check with the council's Planning Section before commencing any demolition.