Building warranty insurance providers will fix fundamental problems with your house, such as cracked walls, damp and drains, so you don't have to chase up builders or architects. Warranties (technically known as ‘latent defects insurance’) usually cover a new house for the first few years after completion.
The Local Authority Building Control (LABC) can provide developers and self builders with a complete range of services to support build programmes from start to finish, from warranties, right through to sale. Providing these services under one roof provides significant cost savings.
The latent defect insurance will cover any structural defect in the construction of the building, caused by:
- faulty construction
- incorrect specification of materials
It is primarily for new build schemes but cover can be arranged for major refurbishment schemes as well. This warranty will allow a mortgage to be raised against the property it covers. Services available include the following.
- 10 year Structural Warranties for residential and commercial buildings
- Code for Sustainable Homes Assessments
- EPC and accredited SAP Assessments
- SBEM Assessments
- Acoustic Testing
- Air Pressure Testing
To find out more, or get a quotation, contact the LABC New Home Warranty Team.
Tel: 0845 054 0505
MasterBond Domestic Warranty Scheme
MasterBond is a warranty scheme introduced by the Federation of Master Builders (FMB), in association with LABC. It provides a two year full warranty, and a ten year structural warranty, against building defects for domestic extensions, renovations and improvements.
The warranty protects against:
- loss of deposit
- defects due to faulty workmanship for the first two years
- defects due to faulty materials for the first two years
- structural defects for a further eight years
- defects in work carried out by subcontractors appointed by your builder
- losses, if your builder goes out of business
If a dispute over build quality arises between you and your builder, you can also consult the free dispute resolution service which the warranty provides.
To find out more about the MasterBond Scheme, contact the FMB Domestic Warranty Team.
Tel: 08000 965765