This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Making a Regularisation application

Making a Regularisation application

If you have started building work without approval at any time since November 1985, you may submit an application for Regularisation.

The charge for a Regularisation application is equivalent to the standard Building Notice application charge plus 30%. However, no VAT is levied on this fee.

If the council accepts your application, one of our Building Control team will visit your site to inspect the building work. Where necessary, we may open up or uncover some of the work, or ask you to conduct certain tests or supply calculations, to show that the construction of your project is in compliance with the Building Regulations.

When we are satisfied with the compliance of the work, we will issue a Certificate of Regularisation, and the work will appear on the Building Regulations applications register. Without this official approval, you may encounter problems getting buildings insurance cover, have legal issues in selling your home, or find the market value of your property is adversely affected.

The submission of a Regularisation application does not prevent the council from taking enforcement procedures against the person who commissioned or carried out the work for a breach of the Building Act or the Building Regulations.

To make a regularisation application for the construction of an extension or garage, removal of walls and insertion of beams or a garage conversion please use our online application form. For all other works either call us on 01225 477517 or fill in and email our application form.