This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

You are here

  1. Home
  2. Conversions


You will need Building Regulations approval for the conversion of space in your property. This is because these projects will affect the structure of the property, and may require additional load-bearing support, insulation, ventilation or alterations to the roof. Typical projects include:

  • converting an existing garage into living accommodation
  • converting an existing carport into a garage (this is classed as a single storey extension)
  • a loft conversion

If your project involves converting the use of a building, such as changing a shop to a dwelling or turning one property into two or more, please go to our page on changes of use of a building

Carport and garage conversions

If your project is a garage or carport conversion, our online service is the quickest and easiest way to submit a Building Notice application for Building Regulations approval.

Apply online

Loft conversions

If you are boarding your loft to create usable space, or converting it to add living accommodation, please see our comprehensive technical guide on the requirements for loft conversions. These projects require complex technical regulation. If you have any queries, please call the Building Control section on 01225 477517 to discuss the details of your project, and one of our team can help you to make your application.

The quickest and easiest way to make your application is to do it online. The websites below both act as a portal for electronic Building Regulations application submission to most local authorities. Choose either site, but you do not need to apply more than once. The process is simple:

  • Complete the free registration procedure.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to upload an electronic copy of the plans for your project.
  • We will contact you within five working days to arrange payment of the Building Regulations application charge.
  • If you have any queries about the electronic plans submission process, please contact the Building Control Section.

Apply through the Planning Portal

Apply through the Submit-a-Plan website

Planning permission

Check if your conversion project needs planning permission before starting work.